Just so you know, this post contains affiliate links. That means if you use them to make a purchase, I may earn a commission. You can read my full affiliate disclosure HERE.
These chocolate muffins truly are the best ever. They are moist, delicious, and easy to make!
Muffins are the one food that works for breakfast, mid-morning or after-school snack, afternoon snack or evening snack, which makes them super versatile.
Whether you’re planning a cozy weekend brunch, surprising your loved ones with an afternoon snack, or simply treating yourself to some self-care baking therapy, these chocolate muffins will be your ultimate go-to recipe.
Easy Chocolate Muffins
You’re going to want to add this one to your collection of muffin recipes! They’re incredibly easy to make, requiring just a handful of pantry staples and a few simple steps.
Even if you’re a beginner baker, fear not; we’ve got you covered with detailed instructions to ensure your muffins turn out flawless.
How to Get the Best Chocolate Muffins?
The best chocolate muffins are a result of several key factors that coming together. Here are some elements that contribute to making the best chocolate muffins:
Using high-quality ingredients is crucial for achieving delicious chocolate muffins. Opt for good-quality cocoa powder and dark chocolate, as they will provide a deep and rich chocolate flavor.
Moisture and Texture
Moisture is key to a fantastic muffin. A combination of ingredients like buttermilk, plain yogurt, or sour cream can help keep the muffins moist and tender. Additionally, the right balance of wet and dry ingredients ensures a perfect texture.
A great chocolate muffin should have a pronounced chocolate flavor. This can be achieved by using a generous amount of cocoa powder and adding melted chocolate or chocolate chips to the batter for extra richness and indulgence.
Proper leavening agents like baking powder and baking soda are essential to create the right amount of rise and fluffiness in the muffins. They help the muffins achieve a light and airy texture.
Achieving the perfect balance of sweetness is important. Too much sugar can overpower the chocolate flavor, while too little can result in a bland muffin. Finding the right amount of sugar to complement the chocolate is key.
Properly combining the wet and dry ingredients is crucial. Be careful not to overmix the batter, as it can lead to dense and tough muffins. Gently folding the ingredients together until just combined will help create a tender crumb.
Baking Time and Temperature
Paying attention to baking time and temperature is essential to achieve the ideal muffin. Overbaking can result in dry muffins, while underbaking can leave them gooey. Finding the perfect balance is crucial for moist and fluffy muffins.
By paying attention to these factors and following a well-tested recipe (like the one below!), you’ll be on your way to creating the best chocolate muffins that are moist, rich, and irresistible!
What You’ll Need for These Moist Chocolate Muffins
Here’s what you’ll need to make the following recipe. I’ve included links to some product recommendations from Amazon!
Ultimate Chocolate Muffin Recipe
Prep: 7 min
Bake: 15-17 min
Total: 22-25 min
- 1 cup flour, all purpose flour is fine
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
How to Make the Best Chocolate Muffin Recipe
Preheat the oven temperature to 425°F (220°C) and grease or line a muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. This ensures a smoother batter and helps eliminate any lumps.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: egg, vegetable oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract until well combined.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Add half of the chocolate chips to the bowl as well. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, gently mix the ingredients until they are just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in dense muffins.
Add the remaining chocolate chips to the muffin batter and lightly fold them in. This will ensure that every bite of the muffins has bursts of melty chocolate.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 14-17 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Start checking for doneness around the minimum baking time to avoid overbaking.
Once baked, allow the muffins to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before enjoying.
Here are a few helpful tips to ensure the perfect chocolate muffins!
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients: To ensure even mixing and a smooth batter, it’s recommended to use room temperature eggs, sour cream, and any other ingredients specified in the recipe.
- Grease or Line the Muffin Tin: Before scooping the batter into the muffin tin, make sure to grease the cups or line them with paper liners. This will prevent the muffins from sticking to the tin and make for easy removal.
- Fill Muffin Cups Properly: Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 to 3/4 full. This will allow the muffins to rise properly without overflowing.
- Add Mix-Ins: If you want to take your chocolate muffins to the next level, consider adding mix-ins such as chopped nuts, chocolate chunks, or dried fruit. Gently fold them into the batter along with the chocolate chips for extra texture and flavor.
- Avoid Overbaking: Keep a close eye on the muffins as they bake. Start checking for doneness around the minimum suggested baking time. Insert a toothpick or skewer into the center of a muffin—if it comes out clean or with a few crumbs clinging to it, the muffins are done. Overbaking can result in dry muffins, so it’s better to slightly underbake them if unsure.
- Cool Before Enjoying: Once the muffins are baked, allow them to cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. This will help them set and prevent them from falling apart when removed from the tin.
How to Store Chocolate Muffins
To ensure the freshness and maintain the quality of your chocolate muffins, it’s important to store them properly. Here’s how you should store your chocolate muffins:
- Allow the Muffins to Cool Completely: Before storing the muffins, make sure they have completely cooled down. Placing warm muffins in an airtight container can create condensation and lead to a soggy texture.
- Choose an Airtight Container: Transfer the cooled muffins to an airtight container. This could be a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid or a resealable plastic bag. The container should be large enough to accommodate the muffins without squishing or damaging them.
- Layer with Parchment Paper: To prevent the muffins from sticking together, you can layer them with parchment paper or place them in individual muffin liners before storing them in the container.
- Store at Room Temperature: Chocolate muffins are best stored at room temperature. Keep the container in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, heat sources, or excessive humidity. Avoid storing them in the refrigerator, as it can dry out the muffins and affect their texture.
- Consume Within a Few Days: Chocolate muffins are at their best when enjoyed fresh. Consume them within 2 to 3 days for optimal taste and texture. If you anticipate not finishing them within that time frame, you can freeze the muffins for longer storage.
- Freezing Option: If you need to store the muffins for a longer period, freezing is a great option. Wrap each muffin individually in plastic wrap, place them in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container, and store them in the freezer. Properly stored, muffins can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Thaw them at room temperature or reheat in the microwave for a few seconds before enjoying.
More Great Chocolate Recipes
If you love these muffins, you might also enjoy the following recipes!
Enjoy These Delicious Chocolate Muffins!
Treat yourself to these mouthwatering chocolate muffins and satisfy all your sweet cravings. You’ll love their rich and moist texture, with oodles of melty chocolate chips in every bite!
If you give this easy recipe a try, snap a pic and tag us on Instagram @sweetchocolateobsessions.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Sift sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the larger bowl.
- Add the egg, oil, sour cream, and vanilla to a bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry with half of the chocolate chips and use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix until well combined.
- Do not over mix it, it will come together.
- Add the remaining chocolate chips and lightly mix.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 14-17 min or until a tooth pick or skewer comes out clean.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g